Friday, November 30, 2007

Thought I killed the cat!


The other day I turned on the jeep to take the neighbor home and I heard a thud. I turned the motor off immediately, not knowing what it was. My neighbor said he thought it was a cat in the motor and I got out and my husband confirmed that one of our cats went limping VERY FAST into the barn. Oh my stars....I killed the cat!


He was hiding between the wall and the stack of hay bales and of course my DH had just stacked 25 new bales into the barn. The neighbor, Jeff and DH moved bales until we found the cat. I could tell where he was by the blood he left on the wall of the barn.


I pulled him out of his hiding place and fortunately he was not dead, there was some blood but not much. He had a rear leg that definitely was broken and the bone was doubled up where it moved after breaking. I found out when I called the vet they would charge about $600 to fix his leg, it would need surgery and pins. I love my animals, but $600 is about $600 more than I could afford to spend.


My friend Cindy and I decided to set the broken leg and see what happens. Well, actually Cindy set the leg, I was just the assitant. Hopefully Casey will be able to use his leg without more than a slight gimp. The only other options were to put him down or amputation. The vet told me that even spending $600 didn't guarantee that it would fix. Sometimes the vet ends up amputating the limb anyway.


1 comment:

Marlene said...

Oh that is so awful. I'm glad you were able to do something about the leg on your own. Hopefully it will mend well. I worked at a vet's office for a while and one of my worst memories is of being present when a young, beautiful and otherwise healthy dog was put down because it broke it's leg and the owners could not afford to fix it. So sad.