Wednesday, April 16, 2008

Triplets closeup


Triplets closeup
Originally uploaded by bellavitafarm
Dolly was the last of the Finns to have her lambs. She was so big and uncomfortable the last few days. Now we know why, she had triplets, 2 ewes and a ram. From L to R they are Loretta Lynn, Alex, and Patsy. They were born on 4/14/08 in the evening just after dinner. I had stayed in the barn before dinner and realized how uncomfortable Dolly was and thought she was going to start going into labor at any time. I sat with her and rubbed her belly and tried to make her feel more comfortable. Dinner was ready, so I came inside and ate and went back out to the barn as soon as I could. Within minutes of returning, she started into labor. Loretta Lynn was first out, no problem. Then came Alex, and I moved Alex in front of Dolly to start cleaning him up. I could see Patsy's hooves starting to appear when I heard a newborn lamb crying. I turned around to find Loretta Lynn was already across the pen by the feeder. I picked her up and moved her back closer to momma. Then Patsy decided to appear hind legs and butt first. All of the lambs are doing fine, so far, with Dolly nursing all of them. I'm keeping an eye on them to make sure all of them are getting enough milk from mom. I hope that Dolly will be able to raise all three on her own. If not, I may be bottle feeding at least one.

3 comments:

Angelika said...

Wow, between kittens and lambs, I'm sure you have your hands full. I hope you still have time to knit and spin. Your cat is gorgeous. I used to have one that looked a lot like her. 95% persian.

DMom said...

Triplets, and soooo cute. Now I think I might know who Dolly is named after -- and she's my favorite (well, Emmy Lou, too). Hope the milk's coming in strong. Congratulations!

Marlene said...

Awww, so sweet.